Airship Squadron 3 (ZP-3)

Airship Patrol Squadron 3 (ZP-3) was located at Lakehurst from 1951 to 1961. Many different airships were assigned to the squadron over the years.

ZP-3 was instrumental in taking innovative developments in Lighter Than Air (LTA) into the cold war period. Antisubmarine warfare was perfected using the ZPG-2N airship equipped with sonobuoys, magnetic detection equipment, passive electronic detection equipment, and a powerful radar. This airship could carry a variety of underwater weapons, including target seeking torpedos.

Tactics for airborne refueling from surface ships were developed and long-endurance operations were conducted for over 200 hours. More advanced systems for enemy submarine detection and tracking put an end to ZP-3 antisubmarine operations, such as the SOund SUrveillance System (SOSUS) that provided deep-water long-range detection capability.

(Jump to top next paragraph . . .)

(Continued below:)

Airship Squadron 3 insignia.


Our squadron insignia.

Patches for many blimp squadrons are available for a nominal fee. See the Navy Lakehurst Historical Society page for merchandise and blimp memorabilia.

 

(Jump to Nav Menu)

Please share this with your friends.


 

© Copyright 2002, revised 2014 by Lawrence Rodrigues
All rights reserved worldwide.